Club de Regatas Botafogo
On July 1st, 1894, was born on the Botafogo beach the CLUB DE REGATAS BOTAFOGO. The club received that name in honor to the bay where its boats competed. Its headquarters used to be in a large house, which has been demolished, just down Botafogo beach, next to Morro do Pasmado, where today ends the Pasteur Avenue. In 1889, appeared a legend on the waters on the Guanabara Bay about a Botofogos vessel named Diva, which had won all of the 22 regattas it disputed, becoming the Carioca Champion.
The Club de Regatas Botafogo was the first club from Rio de Janeiro to become the brazilian champion in a sports event: rowing, in a championship which took place in Rio de Janeiro in October of 1902, with the victory of the athlete Antônio Mendes de Oliveira Castro, who a few years later would become the president of the club.
The founders of the Club de Regatas Botafogo were: Alberto Lisboa da Cunha, Arnaldo Pereira Braga, Arthur Galvão, Augusto Martins, Carlos de Souza Freire, Eduardo Fonseca, Frederico Lorena, Henrique Jacutinga, João Penaforte, João Teixeira, José Maria Dias Braga, Julio Kreisler, Julio Ribas Junior, Luís Fonseca Quintanilha Jordão, Oscar Lisboa da Cunha and Paulo Ernesto de Azevedo.
Botafogo Football Club
In the year of 1904, appeared in the neighborhood of Botafogo a new football club, the Electro Club, the first name given to Botafogo Football Club. The partnership was created by two friends during a class. Flávio Ramos e Emmanuel Sodré attended the School Alfredo Gomes and, during an algebra class they had the first idea founding a club through a note sent by Flavio to Emmanuel saying: Ithamar has a football on Rua Martins Ferreira. Lets start another one on Largo dos Leões? We can talk to the Werneck, to Arthur César, to Vicente and to Jacques. And thats how it all began.
This note was intercepted by their mathematics teacher, General Júlio Noronha, who adverted that was not the most appropriate time for conversations of that sort, highlighting though, that he supported all ideas relative to sports practice. The fisrt step was taken to the birth of The Glorious(as the team is kindly called by its members).
In that same night, Flávio Ramos talked to Octávio Werneck, at Voluntários da Pátria Street, and invited him along to create the new club. Finally, in the afternoon of August 12, 1904 the club would be formed by a group of students whose ages varied between 14 and 15 years old, in the cabin by a ruined old house located on Rua Conselheiro Gonzaga, on the corner of Rua Humaitá with Largo dos Leões, kindly donated to the boys by Dona Chiquitota, Favios maternal grandmother, great friend and a true mother for the club that was being born.
The boys, which lived in Botafogo neighborhood, gathered with other friends in a large old house on Largo dos Leões to start the Electro Club. This was the first name given to Botafogo because the boys decided to charge a monthly membership fee and they found an invoice checkbook from an extinc club which had that name, so they decided to use it as theis own. But the Electro Club only lasted until September 18th, when they had another meeting at Flávios grandmothers house, Dona Chiquitota, who was startled to know the name of the club and argued: Well, living where you live, the club can only be called Botafogo advised Dona Chiquitota. And that was done. The club then went to be called Botafogo Football Club.
The first friendly match took place in October 2nd 1904, againt the Football and Athetic Club, in Tijuca: defeat by 3 x 0. The first victory would come after the second match, on May 21st 1905, against Matropolitano, 1 X 0, goal scored by Flávio Ramos. In 1906, the team participated in the first Carioca Championship.In the following year, the team finished in a tie with Fluminense, becoming the champion, with a title that would be recognized only in 1996.
The first Carioca Championship had been won and celebrated immediately after the final whistle in 1910. With an irreprehensible campaign, marked by seven convincing wins, the club was not only championed but it also received the nickname of Glorious. Two years later they would win another Carioca title.
During the decade of 1930s, the club had another glorious time. The team conquered the carioca tetra-championship, from 1932 to 1935, a deed unheard of in Rio de Janeiro. This way was founded the Botafogo Football Club, which after thirty-eight years of existence joined the other Botafogo, the Rowing Club, becoming the Botafogo de Futebol e Regatas.
The founder were: Álvaro Werneck, Arthur Cesar de Andrade, Augusto Paranhos Fontenele, Basílio Viana Junior, Carlos Bastos Neto, Emanuel de Almeida Sodré, Eurico Viveiros de Castro, Flávio da Silva Ramos, Jacques Raimundo Ferreira da Silva, Lourival Costa, Octávio Werneck, Vicente Licínio Cardoso.
Botafogo de Futebol e Regatas
The Botafogo de Futebol e Regatas was officially founded on December 8th, 1942, as a result of the merger of the two clubs with the same name: the Club de Regatas Botafogo and the Botafogo Football Club. The two clubs had their headquarters in the neighborhood of Botafogo, South of Rio de Janeiro. The two clubs mergered after a sad event.
On June 11th, 1942, both clubs were disputing a basketball match for the State Championship and a player named Albano, from the Botafogo F.C., fell on the court due to a devastating heart attack. The match was interrupted ten minutes before the end, when the score was CRB 21X23BFC. Albanos body was taken from the headquarter located on General Severiano and, as it passed in front Mourisco Mar, the president of C.R.Botafogo back then, Augusto Frederico Schimidt, said: I stated at this hour to Albano that his last match resulted in a clear victory. The remaining time of the match will not be disputed by our players. The president of Botafogo Football Club back then, Eduardo Góis Trindade, replied: In the matches disputed by our players, there can only be one winner, Botafogo! Schimidt then sealed the merger: What else is needed for our two clubs to become one?
With the merger only three measures were taken: the flag lost its shield with the entwined letters BFC and got a lonely star from the Clube de Regatas Botafogo; the team started wearing black shorts and the flag got a black rectangle with a white star on top. During the 30s, while amateurs and professionals were divided, Botafogo won the only tetra Championship Carioca, represented by four stars above the shield of the shirt. Nowadays, though, Botafogo no longer uses these additional stars, keeping only the shields star due to its nickname of Lonely Star.
The first title after the merger came six years later, in 1948, with com Carlito Rocha as director and the dog named Biriba as its mascot, defeating in General Severiano the legendary Expresso da Vitória, from Vasco da Gama. The years that followed were marked by victories and idols. In 1957, the carioca title was won with a convincing score of 6 X 2 over Fluminense. The black and white team (as its also called) gathered football stars such as Garrincha, Nilton Santos, Didi, Quarentinha, Amarildo, Paulo Valentim and Zagallo, conquering three State Championships, three Rio-São Paulo Cups and became the base team for the Brazilian National Team which won the 1958 and 1962 World Cups. Another glorious team was put together during 1967-1968, when the team won twice the carioca championship and the Taça Brasil.
The rise back to winning titles started in June 21st 1989, in the historic win of 1X0 over Flamengo, breaking a dry spell of 20 years with an undefeatable campaign. In the next year the team was victorious again and in 1993, they won the Copa Conmebol followed by the Campeonato Brasileiro, in 1995 leaded by Túlio, Gonçalves and Donizete, amongst others. In the same year, the club moved back to its previous headquarter, were the fans celebrated the Taça Guanabara (with 100% use) and the State Championship of 1997. To end the decade, the team won for the fourth time the Rio-São Paulo Championship in 1998.
As nothing comes easy for Botafogo, the club suffered some difficulties. The worst of all was the fall to the Second Division in 2002. In the following year though, with a strong support from its fans, the team made its way back to the first division. During reconstruction, Botafogo won the Carioca Championship in 2006 made it to three consecutive finals in the following year. In 2007 the club won a tender to manage the Olimpic Stadium Nilton Santos for 20 years.In 2010, Botafogo team won Campeonato Carioca (Rio de Janeiro´s Championship) in a historical way, 6 x 0 goals against Vasco, conquering the prizes Guanabara and Rio and the State Championship, without the need of a final game. At the decisive game, a victory of 2 goals against 1 on Flamengo, with Loco Abreu´s cavadinha and Jefferson defending Adriano´s penalty.
The first match of Botafogo Football Club took place on October 2nd 1904, a friendly match against Football and Athletic Club, at the latests playing field, which was located at Rua Haddock Lobo, at Tijuca neighborhood. Botafogo lost by 3 to 0 with the following team: Flávio Ramos, Victor Faria and João Leal; Basílio Vianna, Octávio Werneck and Adhemaro De Lamare; Norman Hime, Ithamar Tavares, Álvaro Soares, Ricardo Rêgo and Carlos Bittencourt.
The first victory would only come on May 21st, 1905, in a friendly match against Metropolitano, in a public field at Rua Voluntários da Pátria: Botafogo 1X0, goal scored by Flávio Ramos. The second victory would be against Colégio Militar. After that, came the revenge against Athletic: 2 X 1, on June 4th.
Finally, in 1906, the match of the first Campeonato Carioca de Futebol, organized by Liga Metropolitana, founded on May 21st, 1905, by the following clubs: América, Athletic, Bangu, Botafogo, Fluminense and Petropolitano. The championship was for aspiring players, from first and second ranks, who made the games preliminaries. Botafogo became the first club from Rio de Janeiro to win a title. The Glorious was the champion of the second rank, competition with takes place before the first rank ones, which was won by Fluminense. But the conquest of the first rank did not take long; it came in 1907 in a polemic way: the title was shared with Fluminense, its biggest rival at the time. The classic match between both teams, years later, received from the press the title Clássico Vovô (which translates to Grandpa Classic) the oldest match in the Brazilian football.
But the most important title of the decade was in 1910 when Botafogo became known as the Glorious, adjective given after the remarkable victory by 6X1 against Fluminense. After winning the third title in 1912 in the new league it founded, AMEA (after having a quarrel with América and abandoning the Carioca League), Botafogo went into a long period without winning any state titles (18 years). On the other hand, the club won tournaments and friendly matches against teams from other states and countries, mainly European teams, including national teams.
Botafogo increased its property, leaving Largo dos Leões, at Humaitá, moving to Rua General Severiano, where the club built its headquarter and stadium. The monumental headquarter; Palacete da Avenida Venceslau Brás (nowadays a listed landmark which preserves its original structure) was inaugurated with a great ball in 1928. The stadium, with capacity for 25 thousand people, was inaugurated ten years later, on August 28th, 1938, when Botafogo won Fluminense by 3X2. Before that, on October 1st 1930, the lighting og the field at General Severiano, which had capacity for 8 thousand people, was celebrated with a match between Botafogo and Atlético Mineiro, won by Botafogo by 6X3. The long dry spell only ended with the conquest of the Carioca Championship in 1930.
Opposite to the 1920s, the 1930s and 1940s were filled with conquests for the Glorious. During this period the team had four consecutive victories, being the only team to accomplish that among teams from Rio de Janeiro: 1932, 1933, 1934 and 1935. Botafogo had become the base of the Brazilian Team for the World Cups of 1930, 1934 and 1938, revealing to the world mare and more star players. The club hired players from other clubs in Rio, in Brazil, in Argentina and Uruguay. Among those talents stood out the famous Leônidas da Silva, called "the Black Diamond", who invented the bicycle goal during an international match of Brazil against Italy, in the 1938 World Cup. General Severiano became a snake pit (slang given to a place where the best players are trained),with players such as Martim Silveira, Canalli, Paulinho Tovar, Carvalho Leite, Nilo Murtinho Braga, Patesko, Pirica, Átila and Heleno de Freitas.
In 1936, Botafogo, whose fame had crossed the continent, had their first international tour: they played nine matches in Mexico and the USA, with 6 victories, 2 defeats and one tie. Although they had a single carioca title during the 1940s, the one from 1948, this decade was very splendid for the teams history. Besides hoarding international victories, the club assembled great teams, filled with star players, such as Heleno de Freitas, Nílton Santos, Geninho, Gerson Santos, Ávila, Juvenal, Oscar Basso, Paraguaio, Pirilo, Oswaldo Baliza, Rubinho and Octávio.
The incredible mascot of the carioca championship of 1948 was the dog named Biriba, a white mongrel dog with a black spot, which entered the field with the players and became an international legend. The mascots fame was so spread out that Botafogo had to enlarge their shares in dollars, during the international tours due to a clause that demanded Biribas presence for the matches.
Before the final match of the State Championship in 1948, against Vasco, held in General Severiano, Biriba stayed at a hotel, monitored by a guard dog named Macaé. Biribas fillet mignon had to be tried by Macaé before the mascot could eat it. This measure was taken by the legendary president Carlito Rocha because Vascos fans threatened to poison the dog to upset the team for the great decision. With Biriba on the field, Botafogo won the match by 3X1 and got the title, even after a series of defeats to Vasco, which had a very strong team and was known at the time as Expresso da Vitória (which translates to Victory Express).
The opening of Estádio Mário Filho, known as Maracanã, which was built for the 1950 World Cup, took place on June 16th of the same year, with a friendly match between São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro states teams. The first goal scored at the temple of world football was scored by Didi. The match ended with a victory for São Paulos team by 3X1.
Botafogos first match at the new stadium took place after the tragic match in which Brazils team lost the final game to Uruguay by 2X1, on July 16th. The match was a classic against América for the Carioca Championship. The result was: defeat by 4 X 2, which was given back at the rematch resulting in (2 X 1) and led the rival to lose to Vasco a title that was practically already won.
Before winning its first title at the worlds largest stadium, in 1957, Botafogo revealed to the world at a match against Bonsucesso, on July 19th 1953, at General Severiano, the biggest phenomenon in football history: Manoel Francisco dos Santos, the genius Mané Garrincha.
He first played in Maracanã in a classic match against Flamengo, on September 7th. In Botafogos victory by 3X0, Garrincha scored his first goal at the stadium and drove crazy Flamengos side player Jordan due to incredible dribbles and crossings. Manes definitive consecration came on December 22nd, 1957, when he took apart Flamengos defense in a convincing win by 6 X 2. He scored one of the goals and assisted for the other 5, which were scored by Paulinho Valentim, another legend player of Botafogos first title won in Maracanã. The super team was directed by another myth, João Saldanha, and still had other stars such as: Nílton Santos, Didi, Pampolini, Quarentinha, Servílio, Beto, Tomé, Edson and Adalberto.
With the conquest of the first world title for the Brazilian Team, in 1958, in Sweden, with a team that had Vicente Feola as the coach, had also besides Zagallo, three of Botafogos stars: Nílton Santos, Didi and Garrincha. The 60s would become the golden decade for the glorious Botafogo.
Manés Botabogo was twice the champion of Carioca Championship in 1961 and 1962, champion of the Rio-São Paulo Tournament of 1962 and 1964 and also won numerous international tournaments. Alongside with Santos, Botafogo opened once and for all the doors of the European market for the Brazilian players. These clubs became the foundation for the Brazilian Team, at the time called "Land of the cleats", an expression created by Nelson Rodrigues, a Brazilian writer.
But the "Football University" which General Severiano had become, did not stop there: by the end of the Garrincha era, the team revealed another star not only to Botafogos history but to the worlds as well: Jairzinho, Paulo César Caju, Roberto, Rogério, Nei Conceição, Carlos Roberto, Ferreti, Afonsinho, Cao, Moreira, Valtencir, Othon Valentim, among others, playing along with three stars, Manga, Gérson and Sebastião Leônidas, having Zagallo as their coach.
Botafogo won twice again the Carioca Championship in 1967 and 1968, and also won twice the Taça Guanabara, again in 1967 and 1968; and won the Taça Brasil in 1968. The club went back to being the foundation for the Brazilian Team, which would win for the third time the World Cup, this time in Mexico, in 1970. There were two coaches responsible for this glorious campaign, both from Botafogo: João Saldanha during eliminations and Zagallo in México.
After the golden years, there came the Dry Spell. It started with the loss of the state title of 1971 to Fluminense. In the final match, Fluminenses player Lula scored a goal two minutes before the final whistle, when all Botafogo needed was a tied score. The fatal goal was scored after a foul play from Marco Antônio on the goal keeper Ubirajara Mota, but the referee José Marçal Filho, after a long argument, did not consider the foul play, confirming Fluminenses victory. This goal is still questioned till today and stigmatized Marçal for the rest of his life, and also marked the beginning of the 20 year Dry Spell for Botafogo, which would only end in 1989.
But Botafogos cavalry wasnt only within the fields. The club had to sell in 1976 its social headquarters as well as its famous stadium, to vale do Rio Doce, as payment of fiscal debt. Its property would only be regained in 1994, as presage to a great year, 1995, with the conquest of the Brazilian Championship, in a final match against Santos.
During this critical period, Botafogo was transferred to Marechal Hermes in the suburbs of Rio. It only came back to its home, and to its trajectory of glories, sometime later. On the field, the Carioca title was won again in 1989, unbeaten, on June 21st, on the second match of the decision agaist Flamengo, with a goal scores by Maurício. Botafogo won this title again in 1990, over Vasco.
The 90s were filled with more conquests for Botafogo. It all started with Conmebol in 1993, in a electrifying final match against Peñarol, at Maracanã, decided in penalty kicks after the dramatic end with the score of 2X2 in regular time. Following that, came the Brazilian Championship, also won in another dramatic final match, this time, against Santos, with the score of 2X1 in the first match at Maracanã, with goals scored by Gottardo and Túlio, and a tie by 1X1 at Pacaembu stadium, in São Paulo, goal scored by artillery man Túlio Maravilha (Maravilha means Wonderful). This title could have come before, in 1992, when Renato Gaúcho lost the final match to Flamengo by 3X0 in the first final match and 2X2 in the second one.
In 1996, the club won the Taça Cidade Maravilhosa, unbeaten with six victories and only one tie. In the same year, Botafogo won the Taça Tereza Herrera, defeating Deportivo La Coruña and Juventus, from Itália. In 1997, after a spectacular campaign, Botafogo won again the Carioca Championship, defeating Vasco in the second match of the decision by 1X0, goal scored by Dimba, goal known as "o gol da Dimbalada". To arrive at the title, the team won with an unbeatably and unseen campaign the Taça Guanabara (12 matches, 12 victories, two of them against Vasco Vasco) and the Taça Rio (eight matches, the final one against Fluminense).
But there was also a great deception: in front of 111 thousand fanatic fans, the largest single team audience ever in the stadium, Botafogo couldnt get past a tie score 0X0 against Juventude, in the final match of Copa do Brasil, losing the title to the Club from Rio Grande do Sul.
The new century did not begin well for Botafogo. In 2002, after a bad campaign, the team was demoted to the Second Division of the Brazilian Championship alongside Palmeiras. The team went into a serious political and financial crisis, but found strength to recover in 2003. With the support from its loyal fans, turned Caio Martins stadium into a boiling pot with a modest team, but filed with stamina, found its way back into the First Division, again alongside Palmeiras, which was the champion of the Second Division that year.
In 2006, with Carlos Roberto as the coach and also one of the idols of Botafogos history, the team won again the Carioca Championship after two beautiful final matches: 3X1 against América, for Taça Guanabara, and 2X0 and 3X1 against Madureira, for the title decision. In 2007, in terms of property, Botafogo obtained one of its greatest victory: the club won a dispute against Fluminense for ownership of the beautiful and modern stadium Estádio Olímpico Nilton Santos, built by the City Hall of Rio for the Pan-American Games of 2007. The stadium, which became known as Nilton Santos due to its location in the neighborhood of Engenho de Dentro, North side of the city, was inaugurated on June 30th, 2007 with Botafogos victory against its oldest rival Fluminense,by 2X1 with two goals scored by Dodô, against 1 scored by Alex Dias. Today, the stadium is called Nilton Santos.